Reading with Your Kids Podcast: What Can I Be? STEM Careers from A to Z by Tiffani Teachey
Today on the podcast, we’re talking about a topic that is close to our heart. Encouraging Kids to Explore STEM Field! Our guest today is Tiffani Teachey, an engineer with more than fifteen years of experience. Tiffani has a passion for inspiring the next generation to engage in STEM careers.
Tiffani Teachey is an engineer who encourages youth to go into Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) careers. Tiffany has written a wonderful picture book titled What Can I Be? STEM Careers from A to Z to introduce science and technology careers to kids.
In our exciting interview with her, we discuss her book and the diversity of the people represented for each profession. A great gift for children to learn the many careers in STEM.
More about Tiffani Teachey
Sr. Mechanical Engineer. Author. Professional Speaker
Tiffani Teachey is a Sr. Mechanical Engineer, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) advocate, professional speaker, and author of the children’s book What Can I Be? STEM Careers from A to Z. She holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, as well as a Masters of Science degree in Engineering Management, both from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
She is a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). Tiffani was born and raised in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, enjoys traveling and being a youth mentor.
For more information go to TiffaniTeachey.com
What Can I Be? STEM Careers from A to Z
What Can I Be? STEM Careers from A to Z is an inspiring and easy-to-read alphabet picture book that teaches our next generation about Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) careers.
This book provides colorful illustrations of six diverse children representing various STEM careers (i.e. astronauts, doctors, scientists, and engineers, etc), helping children (5 to 8 years old) see themselves in one of the STEM careers, and motivates them to shape their future through STEM!
Grab your copy on Amazon!
Interview Talking Points & Questions:
- Why do you think it is important to get our kids interested in STEM? (03:20)
- STEM fields are more accessible than people think it is. (04:30)
- You are a bit of a unicorn. A woman with an engineering degree. How did that happen in your life? (05:30)
- What was it that encouraged you to break this barrier and explore the STEM field? (08:00)
- What are some of the careers that kids are going to explore in your book What Can I Be? STEM Careers from A to Z book? (11:00)
- How did you go from being a mechanical engineer to become a children’s author? (14:15)
- What kind of conversations can you imagine families having after reading your What Can I Be? STEM Careers from A to Z together? (16:00
- Is there a hands-on activity that you can share with our listeners that parents can do with their kids to explore STEM careers? (17:11)
A big thank you to Tiffani Teachey for sharing her wonderful book with us and for joining us on the Reading with your kid’s podcast!
We’d love to hear from you! Contact us and together we can discuss what ideas you think should be included in a future episode, and we can explore potentially setting up an interview. Our goal is to have all voices at the table!
Thanks for tuning in and have a wonderful day😆