RWYK Interview with Michael James – Author of the touching children’s book, “Princess Pumpkin the Pocket Alpaca”
Hey RWYK Family!!
There are times in life when you may have been told that you weren’t good enough, that you don’t fit in, or that you don’t measure up.
If you have ever felt small or different or if you have lived with an illness or disability, one amazing little alpaca is here to remind you to be brave, be independent, and to be yourself, and to keep fighting and never give up.
Joining us on today’s edition of the Reading With Your Kids Podcast to share the courageous real-life story of Princess Pumpkin is Michael James, the owner of the Rolling Rock Ranch Alpacas (in Santa Clarita, California) and the co-author of Princess Pumpkin The Pocket Alpaca (now available on Amazon.com and on PumpkinTheAlpaca.com).
Learn more about “Princess Pumpkin the Pocket Alpaca”
Princess Pumpkin the Pocket Alpaca, the book, is an inspired and whimsical children’s story for ages 4 to 7. It contains 29 full-color illustrations that tell the story of a small, rejected, impish and real-life little alpaca born too small to survive at only 5 1/2 pounds (most baby alpacas are born 15-20 pounds). Adopted by humans and raised as a Princess, she seeks out friendship from other alpacas and learns that just being yourself is the key to acceptance. The book measures 8 1/2″ by 8 1/2″ and is 100% conceived, written, illustrated and printed in the U.S.A. To learn more about the real Princess Pumpkin, the authors or the artist go to @pumpkinthepocketalpaca or princesspumpkinthepocketalpaca.com. The book launch is a project to help raise awareness of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. With the book’s 2018 launch, Rolling Rock Ranch will donate $2.00 for every book sold direct from the website to Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. For more information about Children’s Hospital Los Angeles go to CHLA.org. Other book-related products are available on the website. www.princesspumpkinofficial.com
Rolling Rock Ranch Alpacas is the home of Princess Pumpkin and all her friends. For more information on alpacas, please visit our website – www.rollingrockranchalpacas.com/
Official Website: PumpkinTheAlpaca.com
Princess Pumpkin The Pocket Alpaca is available on Amazon! – https://amzn.to/2kVi9Uj
Interview Talking Points & Guided Questions:
- Princess Pumpkin’s birth into the world on Thanksgiving Day in 2015 (November 26th, 2015): Weighing 5 pounds, 8 ounces; She was as tall as two rolls of toilet paper and not much larger than a bag of sugar
- How her human & animal family helped to save her.
- The bond that was created between you two early on & how you both helped to save each other.
- At what point did you realize that Princess Pumpkin’s journey needed to be shared…and in the form of a children’s book?
- Some of Princess Pumpkin’s friends at the Rolling Rock Ranch Alpacas are a part of the book as well: Why was it important for you to keep the book as authentic and true to life as possible?
- What have been some of the highlights and great feedback that you have received from children around the world who have read Princess Pumpkin The Pocket Alpaca?
- For those who may feel challenged or struggling in some way (small or large), what do you hope people take away from Princess Pumpkin’s courageous story?
- What’s next for Princess Pumpkin and her adventures? (Both in real life and story form)
We would like to say a huge thank you to Michael James for doing this interview! We’re very excited to see what he does next! We hope you have enjoyed listening to this episode and be sure to keep your eye out for his future books.
We’d love to hear from you! Contact us and together we can discuss what ideas you think should be included in a future episode, and we can explore potentially setting up an interview. Our goal is to have all voices at the table!
Thanks for tuning in and have a beautiful day😆
*post contains an affiliate link.